Saturday, October 4, 2008

23rd Day

I haven't been updating for the past few nights because has been falling asleep a little later at night now, and by the time I either drive back up to SF or San Mateo, I am dead tired. Too hard to think about looking at a computer screen!

Anyway.

My brother is back from Macau for the time being and we've been sneakin' some peach yogurt for my dad to try swallowing even though he's still on the feeding tube. He actually does great with it and he likes eating it. Funny thing is that, when I left my brother feeding my dad so I can use the bathroom real quick, I came back and apparently a nurse saw and she narked to the doctor. The doctor then yelled at my brother. =P Hey man, I told the doctor not to give my dad any drugs that causes him to be drowsy and they did last week anyway.

We've been told on the hospital end many times that he has not passed the swallow eval and my dad will continue to need the feeding tube even though he's pulled it out 4 times already. He's currently being given Ensure (basically a liquid meal) and Metoprolo (regular blood pressure med) through the tube. So it's essential to keep the tube. But on the other hand, Dr. Zhu and Moyee said that he needs to start practicing swallowing with something. And honestly, why not? How are you going to learn how to swallow again if you don't have anything to swallow with? Yogurt seemed to be perfect. I have tried cutting grapes in really really tiny slices for him to try. Even after 2 pieces he knew he couldn't do it. But with yogurt, he had no problems.

My dad had quite a pieceful night of sleep last night which is great. I've been training him to think about relaxing his arms, because it's all tensed up because he thinks his right hand is uncontrollably moving and his left arm is not moving at all. He does a lot better with a bit of convincing. Yesterday he worked with the PT and was in a wheel chair again, which is good. But I am slightly frustrated that no nurse has been able to update me on a list of exercises that he's done thus far. Acupuncture will now be every other day.

There's still lots to work on on his left side. Left peripheral vision especially. A lot of words and phrases needs to be reminded of. Even colors. But all is possible!

Anyway -- time for another drive down to the Hospital.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home