Monday, December 22, 2008

101th Day

After 100 nights at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, my dad is finally discharged today from Rehab. Lots of progress has been made since I last posted, and we are now at Step #2. He's been recovering at a good rate, but of course he's in no condition to go back to where he was living. Today, my brother, sister and I moved him to a pretty nice Chinese assisted living center near the hospital where he will begin what I call in my head as Phase 2 rehab. He is now free to leave the premises to go back to Dr. Zhu and Moyee to begin their 3 hour/day "On My Feet" program. Hopefully the program will help him rid of the need of a wheel chair and regain his clarity in speech.

It's been such a long stay at the hospital, even though he's been making a good amount of progress lately, it's pretty exhausting to follow everything, especially my brother and I driving down to San Jose all the time. Not to mention the piles and piles of paperwork to be filled out and hours of phone calls that had to be made in order to square away bills, plan accommodations, deal with health coverage, disability etc etc. Nothing has been easy, so at the end of the day, I've been slow and less motivated to update the blog as often as I did.

It really does take 3 other adults to take care of 1 person, but even though my dad has been in the hospital for so long...remembering how he was when he couldn't even eat to now being able to eat whatever I bring, all our efforts are well worth it. There's still many giant steps to take, and there's still thinking about what will happen in two months, but for now, getting out of the hospital (jail) is pretty sweet.

I hope my dad will be sleeping well in his first night at his new "home."

1 Comments:

Blogger graceypoo said...

awesome! Hoping for a speedy and strong recovery for your dad! (and mad props to the your dedication and patience throughout this process!)

December 22, 2008 at 11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home